In this episode, we interview Dennis Mitchell, CEO and CIO of Starlight Capital, about being Black in commercial real estate in Canada, the new Black Opportunity Fund he has started housed at Toronto Foundation, and the way forward in enhancing opportunities for Canada’s Black population to grow and prosper in Canada.
Dennis Mitchell joined Starlight Capital in March 2018 as CEO and CIO. Dennis has over 15 years of experience in the investment industry and has held executive positions with Sprott Asset Management, serving as SVP and Senior Portfolio Manager, and Sentry Investments, serving as EVP and CIO.
The podcast conversation covered:
- Being a Black person commercial real estate in Canada
- Barriers to entry for Black professionals entering the business community
- The experience of what it is like to be a Black professional in the corporate world
- Challenges that exist for Black people in the real estate space
- The Black Opportunity Fund (www.blackopportunityfund.ca) and how it will measure success
- How can commercial real estate improve their approaches to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- How to combat anti-Black racism in our community